QuickBooks is great accounting software that helps you complete your accounting tasks with minimal hassle. However, often users complain their QuickBooks won’t open. This problem arises due to issues like a damaged hard disk, corrupt .ini files, a very lengthy company name, improper installation of QuickBooks Desktop, and glitches in the company file. Sometimes, a virus can enter your system and wreak havoc with applications such as QuickBooks. Naturally, if you are heavily dependent on the software for managing your finances, you will feel curious to know how to make it properly again. In this article, you’ll find several effective methods to start your QuickBooks.
Fixes for When QuickBooks Won’t Open?
The easiest thing users can do to troubleshoot this problem is to simply restart your system. In many instances, users find that a restart is enough to make QB work properly again. However, if, even after the restart, you find QuickBooks not opening, go ahead and carry out the following troubleshooting.
- Rename the QBWUSER.INI file.
A damaged QBWUSER.INI file is often responsible for causing problems with the working of QuickBooks. You can repair this file by renaming it. When you rename the file, a new version of it is made.
- Tap the ‘File Explorer’ to launch a new window.
- Go to that folder where the QB files are stored.
- Locate the QBWUSER.INI file and right-tap it.
- Now, choose ‘Rename.’
- At the end of the name of the file, input .old.
- The new file name will be QBWUSER.INI.OLD.
- Now, locate the entitlement file. It has the name ‘EntitlementDataStore.ecml.’ change its name also.
- Now, open QuickBooks Desktop and run a company file.
- If it can open the file, you can return it to the primary company file.
- Exit the QBW32.exe process.
This is one of the easier fixes to use when your QuickBooks Desktop won’t open. Right-tap the Windows taskbar and follow these points.
- After right-tapping the Windows taskbar, choose ‘Start Task Manager.’
- Now, tap the ‘Process’ tab followed by the ‘Image Name’ header.
- Now, find ‘EXE’ and choose it.
- Then, tap ‘End Process’ to exit the EXE process.
- Suppress the installation of QB Desktop
You can also suppress the installation of your QB Desktop if you find the software not opening. The first step is to right-tap on the symbol of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Hit the ‘Ctrl’ key and choose ‘Open.’
- You must not release this key till you find the window of ‘No Company Open’ appearing.
- Only after this window appears to open your QB Desktop. You won’t face any issues in opening and operating the software.
- Repair the desktop installation of your software
As mentioned before, improper installation of QuickBooks Desktop is a major cause for people to complain that QuickBooks won’t open. The only way to mend improper installation is by repairing it.
- Launch the ‘Task Manager’ on your system. The shortcut for it is ‘Ctrl’ + ‘Alt’ + ‘Delete.’
- Click these keys together.
- You must now tap the ‘Process’ tab.
- In this tab, tap right on a specific QuickBooks process and hit the ‘End Process’ option.
- After you do so, you’ll find a confirmation process. Choose ‘End all processes’ after that. You can now start your QuickBooks application again and hit ‘Repair QuickBooks.’
- After the repair completes, you will undoubtedly be able to access the application.
- Employ the QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub is a highly effective tool that resolves almost every type of QB error. You can use it to fix this issue also.
- Exit the QuickBooks software.
- Now, download the QB tool hub from Intuit’s website.
- After it gets downloaded, open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Follow the installation prompts.
- When the install gets completed, double-tap the QB tool hub icon present on your desktop to launch it.
- The tool will fix the issue that is preventing QB from opening. You will find that the application opens and you can start working with it.
Whenever you find that your QuickBooks won’t open, it’s essential to find the root cause for it. After knowing it, you can follow the various fixes to resolve the issue. However, if, for some reason, the application still won’t open, you should not waste any time contacting professional technical support service.